Kestopluskvamperfekti vastaa kestoperfektiä, mutta viittaa aikaan, joka oli 'ennen nyt'. Kuten kestoperfektissä, olemme kiinnostuneempia prosessista.
- Had you been waiting long before the taxi arrived?
- We had been trying to open the door for five minutes when Jane found her key.
- It had been raining hard for several hours and the streets were very wet.
- Her friends had been thinking of calling the police when she walked in.
Tätä muotoa käytetään myös epäsuorassa lainauksessa. Se vastaa kestoimperfektiä ja kestoperfektiä suorassa lainauksessa:
- Jane said, "I have been gardening all afternoon." = Jane said she had been gardening all afternoon.
- When the police questioned him, John said, "I was working late in the office that night." = When the police questioned him, John told them he had been working late in the office that night.
Kestopluskvamperfekti muodostetaan kahdesta osasta - verbin pluskvamperfekti to be (=had been) + partisiipin preesens (verbin kantamuoto+ing).
|Subjekti||had been||verbi + ing|
To buy, kestopluskvamperfekti
|I had been buying||I hadn't been buying||Had I been buying?|
|You had been buying||You hadn't been buying||Had you been buying?|
|She had been buying||She hadn't been buying||Had she been buying?|
|We had been buying||We hadn't been buying||Had we been buying?|
|They had been buying||They hadn't been buying||Had they been buying?|