Mean + gerundi ilmaisee toiminnan tulosta tai sitä, mikä on tarpeellista. Sanan mean voi korvata sanalla involve.
- If you take that job in London it will mean travelling for two hours every day.
- We could take the ferry to France, but that will mean spending a night in a hotel.
- Buying this jacket now means not buying another until next year.
- Leaving school would mean finding a job.
Mean + infinitiivi ilmaisee aietta tai suunnitelmaa mean voidaan korvata sanalla intend.
- Did you mean to dial this number?
- I mean to finish this job by the end of the week!
- I didn't mean to hurt you.
- I meant to return the books on time.