TO GET voidaan käyttää usealla eri kaavalla ja sillä on monia eri merkityksiä.
TO GET + suora objekti = to obtain, to receive, to buy
- I got my passport last week. (to obtain)
- She got her driving license last week. (to obtain)
- They got permission to live in Switzerland. (to obtain)
- I got a letter from my friend in Nigeria. (to receive)
- He gets $1,000 a year from his father. (to receive)
- She got a new coat from Zappaloni in Rome. (to buy)
- We got a new television for the sitting room. (to buy)
TO GET + paikan ilmaus = reach, arrive at a place
- How are you getting home tonight?
- We got to London around 6 p.m.
- What time will we get there?
- When did you get back from New York?
TO GET + adjektiivi = become, show a change of state
- I am getting old.
- It's getting hotter.
- By the time they reached the house they were getting hungry.
- I'm getting tired of all this nonsense.
- My mother's getting old and needs looking after.
- It gets dark very early in the winter.
- Don't touch the stove until is gets cool.
TO GET + prepositio/adverbi = partikkeliverbi eri tarkoituksilla
|TO GET +||Tarkoitus||Esimerkki|
|to get at||yrittää ilmaista||I think I see what you're getting at. I agree.|
|to get away with||välttyä rikoksen rangaistukselta tai pahalta teolta||I can't believe you got away with cheating on that test!|
|to get by||selvitä (taloudellisesti)||Sam doesn't earn much, but we get by.|
|to get down||masentua, viedä alaspäin||This rain is really getting me down.|
|to get off||nousta pois kulkuneuvosta (juna, bussi, polkupyörä, lentokone)||We got off the train just before the bomb exploded.|
|to get on||
1. astua sisään/istuutua kulkuneuvoon (juna, bussi, polkupyörä, lentokone)
2. olla suhteessa jonkun kanssa
1. He got on his bicycle and rode down the street.
2. Amy and I really get on well.
|to get on with||jatkaa||I have so much homework, I'd better get on with it.|
|to get out of||välttää jonkun tekemistä, etenkin velvollisuuden||She got out of the washing-up every day, even when it was her turn.|
|to get over||toipua (sairaudesta, yllätyksestä)||Have you gotten over your cold yet?|
|to get through||käyttää tai kuluttaa loppuun jonkun asian varasto||We've got through all the sugar. Can you buy some more?|
|to get up||nousta ylös sängystä||He gets up at 6.00 a.m. every morning.|
|to get up to||tehdä - yleensä jotain pahaa||The children are very quiet. I wonder what they're getting up to.|
Muita ilmaisuja, joiden kanssa käytetään GET
Do you get it tarkoittaa ymmärrätkö sinä.
Do you get what the teacher was explaining in class?
He's getting dinner tonight tarkoittaa että hän valmistaa illallista.
You can relax. It's my turn to get dinner tonight.
I'll get the bill tarkoittaa että minä maksan.
Put your wallet away! I'll get the bill.
That really gets me! tarkoittaa että se ärsyttää minua.
It really gets me when my sister shows up late.
To get rid of something tarkoittaa niiden pois heittämistä.
I'm going to get rid of all these old newspapers.
To get out of bed on the wrong side means to be in a bad mood.
He got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and he's been horrible all day.
To get your own back means to have your revenge or punish someone.
She's getting her own back for all those rude things you said at the party last night.